Resolving Disagreements

The SEND Code of Practice 0-25 supports the need to ensure that disagreements are resolved as early as possible at the local level.

The arrangement for resolving disagreements are detailed in Section 11 of the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 which explains

  • The independent disagreement resolution arrangements which local authorities must make available for disagreements across special educational provision, and health and care provision in relation to Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans.
  • The independent mediation arrangements which parents and young people can use before deciding whether to appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs (SEN) and Disability) (‘the Tribunal’) and for health and social care complaints in relation to EHC plans.

The SEND Code of practice states that all Local authorities must make disagreement resolution services available to parents and young people.  The service, while commissioned by it, must be independent of the local authority – no-one who is directly employed by a local authority can provide disagreement resolution services.

Oldham local authority have commissioned POINT Services to deliver Mediation and Disagreement Resolution Services in Oldham and all Mediation and Disagreement Resolution meetings are undertaken by a Civil Mediation Council accredited mediator who is employed directly by POINT Services.

Mediation and Disagreement Resolution services vary in terms of the type of disagreement they can hear. It is also important to note that the SEND Code of practice also requires parents, carers and young people to consider Mediation before making a claim to the First Tier SEND Tribunal,

The buttons below can be accessed learn more about Mediation, Disagreement Resolution and First Tier SEND Tribunal Claims. In addition you will find a link to Chapter 11 of the SEND Code of Practice should you wish to access further information about the process for resolving disputes.

Please be aware that Parents, Carers and Young People can access support in resolving disputes through the SEND IAS Service.

Translate »