Independent Support

Between September 2014 and April 2018, all statements of Special Educational Needs will be transferred to an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.

To support this programme, additional support has been made available to parents, carers and young people, so that they can access impartial advice and receive support during the EHC Plan Process. This service is called Independent Support and this page tells you everything you need to know about the service and how YOU can access appropriate support in Oldham.

What is Independent Support?

Independent Support is a FREE, impartial, confidential service which is independent of the local authority. Independent support ensures parent, carers and young people can make informed decisions during the Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan process.

What do Independent Supporters do?

Independent Supporters work alongside parents, carers and young people by offering a range of time-limited support specific to the Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan process. This can include liaison across different agencies and information about personal budgets.

Who can access Independent Support?

Independent Support is available to Parents, Carers or Young people who are:

  • considering requesting an assessment of need and throughout the process for a new EHC plan
  • being transferred from a Statement of Special Educational needs to a new EHC Plan.

Who delivers Independent Support?

A partnership between Oldham SEND IAS Service and Together Trust is delivering Independent Support in Oldham.

To learn more about Independent Support; or how to make a referral for Independent Support in Oldham please visit the links below:

** Please note that funding for this programme is available until March 2016 currently and any continuance of this service will be subject to an extension of the current funding programme **

Translate »