ALL schools must meet the duties set out in Chapter 6 of the SEND Code of Practice 0-25.
From 1st September 2014 the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 applies to the following school institutions and governing bodies:
- Local authorities (education, social care and relevant housing and employment and other services)
- The governing bodies of schools, including non-maintained special schools
- The proprietors of academies (including free schools, University Technical Colleges and Studio Schools)
- The management committees of pupil referral units
- Independent schools and independent specialist providers approved under section 41 of the Children and Families Act 2014
Chapter 6 of the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 explains what each school, organisation or governing body must do in order to identify Special Educational Needs as well as specifying how they should make provision to support a child or young person.
The provision should always be focused around outcomes and should be reviewed regularly as described in the Code of Practice.
REMEMBER – These duties apply whether your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or not.
Click below to access Section 6 of the Code of Practice to read the duties of Schools and to SEND IAS fact sheets.